I have worked with a variety of teams in the healthcare field over the past eleven years and have some insights to share. Typically, there was a crisis indicated by a standardized measure used by the organization or there was a major personnel issue and staff was up in arms.
Three steps to successful coaching of teams include:
- Listening first
- Allow staff and leaders to vent. Listening builds trust.
- Learn about the team and their world
- Asking questions/setting the goal
- What would the team like to see changed? What is the goal/target?
- How can team members help realize these changes?
- What part(s) can team members make happen? By when?
- Follow up
- How frequently will we meet to follow up?
- How are we doing in terms of progress toward our goal?
- Do we have senior leadership buy-in/support?